Tuesday, May 22, 2012

The Pineapple Rice Salad that got 83 hits

                                                         Poolside Pineapple Rice Salad

 Heidi Swanson, posted a recipe for Pineapple Rice Salad on her famous  blog "101 Cookbooks"  and got 83 hits! Now I'm thinking..." Is that my recipe"?
I created a Pineapple Rice Salad which  published  in Hawaiian Edible Islands Magazine. The blogger, Heidi Swanson of 101 Cookbooks found the recipe in the magazine.

Reading that my recipe garnered 83 hits on Heidi's blog was a turning point for me. The light went on. After a long break, I'm happily back to  working on my blog. (The past year was spent remodeling our home in Kauai. ) I love to write about food, my zen is cooking. The kitchen is where I am happy, relaxed and creative.

 Here is the recipe for the Pineapple Rice Salad which I created for summer entertaining. It tastes even better a few days later. Who would have ever thought this little recipe could make such an impact on me? Go figure.

Poolside Pineapple Rice Salad                                                      

4 cups brown rice or farro , black rice or quinoa, cooked

Pineapple Dressing
2 tablespoons, peanut oil
2 tablespoons, Chinese sesame oil
3/4 cup, orange juice
1 teaspoon fresh garlic, minced
4 tablespoons, lite soy sauce
2 tablespoons, rice vinegar
1 cup crushed pineapple,drained or fresh ripe pineapple, diced  
Salt and pepper
Grated orange zest to taste
Hot chili oil to taste

Vegetables for the Salad
 1/4 cup scallions - sliced
1 1/2 cup celery - diced
1/2 red pepper - diced
8 ounces water chestnuts - diced
2 cups fresh bean sprouts
1/2 cup currants
2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
2 cups snow peas - blanched and sliced
1/3 cup toasted salted cashews - diced (optional)

Put the brown rice or grain of choice  in a large bowl.  Put  all the dressing ingredients in a separate bowl and whisk to combine.  Set aside.  Add the fresh vegetables to the rice and fold in the dressing. Stir to combine. Cover and refrigerate.

Makes 8 servings

No comments:

Post a Comment