Sunday, July 11, 2010

A coconut snack recipe





On the road between the Princeville Gym and our house in Kauai is an amazing roadside fruit stand. They sell homegrown fruits and vegetables and fresh island coconuts. Everyday, I stop for an ice cold, freshly cracked coconut. Each one is full of water, rehydrating, cooling and good for your kidney. Forgot the latte, this is my Starbucks, island-style.

Last week, the owner shared a sweet new recipe. After drinking the wonderful coconut water, crack the coconut in half with a hammer. Scoop out the coconut meat place it on a sheet pan. Drizzle with maple syrup and a sprinkle of black lava salt. It takes about 30 minutes at 350F. A yummy snack.
I used to save the coconuts to throw at the screaming roosters in the bushes that wake us up at 5am. One night, a herd of mountain pigs having a party, got a load of coconuts. I was hoping to scare them off. They left...I'm sorry I wasted all those coconuts on them. I could be snacking on my new favorite thing to eat!

No comments:

Post a Comment